Historic Information for the 1998 "Walk Old Hangtown" of the Old 1888 Map & Landmarks Display and the 2007 “Historic Garden Walk” Sesquicentennial of Placerville’s 150-year golden past was taken from the original 1973 “Walking Tour of Historic Placerville” Writen by: Jane Schlappi and Marilyn Ferguson.
For the History Buff by Marilyn Ferguson
“Walk Old Hangtown” © 1998 is a walking tour of the Old 1888 Map & Main Street Landmarks historic display at 477 Main Street. The history information is taken from “Walking Tour of Historic Placerville” © 1973 by: Jane Schlappi and Marilyn Ferguson. Photo of Marilyn Ferguson by: Wendy Shultz, Mountain Democrat, from her article “Marilyn Ferguson~ A City Jewel” Old 1888 Map & Landmarks Text & Map Designed by Marilyn Ferguson. Photos & Historic Display Donated & Maintained by Josette Johnson since 1998
Old City Hall Lot, Main Street, Placerville, California
#1. 495 Main Street. Building began in 1911 and was completed in 1912.
#11 547 Main Street. The Veteran's Memorial Building. Built in 1921 to honor local men who served in WWl.
#112 582 Main Street. Built in 1864.
#13 594 Main Street. Building built in 1859. Upper floor was added in 1898.
#7 Built in 1898, the tower is the third to stand on this site. Placed in the center of town to sound the terrible alarm of "FIRE" and to call to battle the volunteer firemen, the tower is a unique landmark of Placerville.
#14. Corner of Main Street and Cedar Ravine. Erected in 1926 as a memorial to Frederick Sieg who was the founder of California's Grove #1 of the Druid Lodge in Placerville.
See "Tour Starts Here" on old 1888 map and landmarks display, since 1998, located at the public restroom in the Kirk/Old City Hall Lot off Main Street. Map and Text by Marilyn Ferguson, Historic Research Consultant and Associates. Photos & Historic Display Maintenance Donated by Josette Johnson Since 1998. For more information go to: https://www.walkoldhangtown.org
"A VILLAGE OF GOLD"
By: Marilyn Ferguson
Since the first deposits of placer gold were found on the banks of Hangtown Creek in 1848, Placerville has been the center of activity in the region of California known as the "Central Mines." Men from every part of the world flocked to Placerville; Georgians, Chileans and Sonorans were the first miners who came with knowledge of mining methods. Great gold deposits were mined and some 49'ers returned home rich, while others stated to become the founding fathers of the town; others died alone and penniless, lost to their loved ones.
In 1850, the village was officially called Placerville in remembrance of the huge placer gold deposits found here. Incorporation came in May of 1854. In five short years, Placerville had grown from a mining camp, to a village, to a city. In 1857, Placerville, by popular vote, became the county seat.
Placerville earned the nickname of "Hangtown" when in 1849 a big oak tree in the middle of the camp was used to mete out quick justice to wrongdoers. The nick name stuck and persists to this day, to the pleasure of some and the displeasure of others.
The strategic location on the early emigrant route made Placerville an important supply center. In 1859 when the great Nevada silver deposits of the Comstock Lode were discovered, long line of supply wagons threaded their way east over the Sierras, carrying needed provisions, and returned with the rich ore from the mines heading for the Mint in San Francisco.
Many Miners prospered from their gold finds, and seeing ample opportunities, opened businesses, supplied goods and services, developed a huge lumber industry, built great water and road systems, and established vst acres of agricultural lands.
Located at the intersection of State Highway 50 and State Route 49, modern Main Street shows a busy, growing town. But under the layers of facade, stand rhyolite stone buildings (c. 1853-1858), reminders of the citizens who, by their enterprise and hard work, left us the legacy of a permanent city.
Originally Published in 2007 © Placerville Sesquicentennial Historic Garden Walk.
For more information on the special edition sesquicentennial book, Historic Garden Walk from 2007 celebrating Placerville’s 150-year golden past with more landmarks & public art at gardens, click below.
This scan code is located on the Old Map & Landmarks Legend and available to scan for free download. Or click link below.
In honor of our sesquicentennial celebrating Placerville's 150 year golden past we published this book © 2007. Free to download here this walking tour shows the historic significance of our old maps, landmarks, historic Main Street history & village of gold by Marilyn Ferguson and garden projects photos by Josette Johnson.
Special thanks to: James Donaker and Keith Johnson for 20 years of volunteering to help keep the Old Map & Landmarks maintained.
The old 1888 map is a bird’s-eye view of Placerville, California published by The Weekly Observer. The Main Street Landmarks are 14 points of historic interest that can be seen by walking along Main Street. Walk Old Hangtown begins at Old City Hall Lot, 577 Main Street, at the Old 1888 Map & Landmarks display, that was established in 1998, when the public restroom was built.
On the legend is a scan code where this brochure can be downloaded and taken along on the walk. For more information visit: www.WalkOldHangtown.org
The State flower is the California Golden Poppy * Placerville Gold Country * A link in the chain of gold Rush towns along the Golden Highway of Route 49 and El Dorado Highway 50 in the scenic corridor Of the Mother Lode.
Golden Poppies are spreading along the Scenic Corridor of US 50 the Historic State Route 49 crossroads from Bedford Ave to near the Welcome Sign area in Placerville Gold Country
"Volunteers are the Flowers of Placerville." ~ Marilyn Ferguson (with Suzy & Josette) planting poppy seeds near Bedford Avenue across the creek from where our tour begins at Old City Hall.
Copyright © 1998 - 2019 All Rights Reserved. Credits & Copyrights: Old 1888 Map & Main Street Landmarks Historic Display, "Walk Old Hangtown" © 1998. ~ Village of Gold, "Historic Garden Walk" © 2007. Tour Starts Here at Historic Main Street Sesquicentennial Book Celebrating Placerville's 150-year golden past History is taken from the original, "Walking Tour of Historic Placerville" © 1973